Become a Hotline Volunteer
Volunteers are invited to join the work of the Family Support Program Team. The Family Support Program includes the Parent Support and Resource Hotline, the Foster Parent Advice Line, Positive Parenting Classes and workshops, Fatherhood Classes and the Family Yoga Project.
The Parent Support and Resource Hotline is the gateway to the services offered by Family Paths as well as to resources in the community. Those interested in volunteering should consider becoming a Volunteer Parent Support Counselor. Parent Support Counselors benefit the community by providing phone counseling, case management, crisis support, and resources and referrals to all parents, including foster/adoptive parents, relative caregivers, and other service providers.
READY TO APPLY? Click HERE.
Volunteers benefit from joining an agency that is committed to social justice as well as being part of a team of like minded people who are committed to supporting families in our community with respect, integrity, compassion and hope. We especially welcome those who speak other languages in addition to English and people from the diverse communities that Family Paths is a part of.
This rewarding volunteer opportunity is great for:
- students in the mental health/social work field or other health related fields
- mothers, fathers, and caregivers who wish to support fellow parents
- retirees who wish to share their life experience and skills
- anyone who wishes to make a difference in the lives of parents and families
Volunteers receive training in advance through our 32-hour Volunteer Pre-Service as well as ongoing training and support thereafter during every hotline shift. Training topics include: Active Listening, Impact of Trauma on the Brain, information on Mental Health issues, Domestic Violence, Substance Abuse, Child Abuse and Mandated Reporting, Resource Parenting and Cultural Humility.
Time Commitment and Duties:
- Volunteer on one 4-hour shift per week in the office for one year
- Attend trainings offered by Family Support usually scheduled on an evening or a Saturday and/or attend clinical trainings offered by the agency usually scheduled on weekdays
- Answer phones, make case management call backs, complete referrals to agency services, link callers to resources in the community, support fellow volunteers and staff
- Assist in updating our Community Resource Database
- In addition to volunteering on the hotline you may be able to:
- Volunteer to help in one of our parenting classes
- Volunteer to help at an outreach or other event
- Volunteer to help prepare materials for classes and outreaches
If you are interested in learning more please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Kim San Gabriel at 510-893-9230, ext. 238. CLICK HERE to sign up for our next Volunteer Open House on January 13, 2020 (Choose 12:00-1:30pm OR 5:00-6:30pm). Additionally, please complete the volunteer application below.
NOTE: If you, your children or an immediate family member have received any services at Family Paths, please WAIT 2 years after services have ended to apply to become a volunteer. After this time has passed, we would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about your interest and readiness to volunteer.
Click HERE to view information about Family Paths’ Parent Support and Resource Hotline volunteers.